#149696  by Atk1
 Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:17 am
Anyone ever toy around with this combo? I have a MC50 and an SMS and I was considering picking up a Mesa Studio Pre to get some other tones. Just wondering if anyone has any insight?

Thanks
 #149697  by lovetoboogie
 Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:59 am
The Studio Preamp has an unusually sweet clean channel. Especially so without the GEQ. The lead channel unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the player, is more liquid gain sounding like a Mark III. It is distinctly different from say a Mark I or I IA. But again, the clean channel is excellent, and can dial in some convincing Garcia or Weir tone... and they are virtually indestructible.

I haven't paired it with a Mac but have run it with an old EV 7300 stereo power amp with great results...
 #149698  by tcsned
 Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:32 pm
I've not used a Studio Pre but I have used my Mesa V-Twin rack pre with my MC2100 and I think it kicks. The gain channel sounds better that the clean channel to my ears, the blend between the two is pretty awesome.
 #149701  by TI4-1009
 Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:43 pm
I use my Mesa Lonestar preamp into an MC50 into a JBL K cab. Does "the Jerry thing" for me, plus there's a lot else available in the Lonestar.
 #149702  by mgbills
 Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:07 pm
As stated the clean channel is great. Really sweet with a Mc power amp. When I had mine (and I wish I'd kept it) I played it with an Mc2100. When paired with a nice reverb and a JBL K120 it is tasty indeed. I love Mesa equipment, and for Jerry tone it's get's you very close. The thing I really like is that you get your Jerry on, but can instantly throw some grit and preamp overdrive at the tone and play almost anything else in a semi or non-Dead band. Very versitile pro.

Does it have reverb? Can't remember.
Peace
M
 #149710  by Atk1
 Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:02 pm
mgbills wrote:As stated the clean channel is great. Really sweet with a Mc power amp. When I had mine (and I wish I'd kept it) I played it with an Mc2100. When paired with a nice reverb and a JBL K120 it is tasty indeed. I love Mesa equipment, and for Jerry tone it's get's you very close. The thing I really like is that you get your Jerry on, but can instantly throw some grit and preamp overdrive at the tone and play almost anything else in a semi or non-Dead band. Very versitile pro.

Does it have reverb? Can't remember.
Peace
M

That's what I'm looking for.. Versatility. I have the SMS > MC50 > JBLK120 and I get Jerry tone easily. Also the SMS is about the nicest cleanest tone I could ask for. I was hoping to add some tone variation with the mesa and wondered if it sounded alright via the MC50. I have a separate 1x12 with a Celestion V30 that I thought might mingle well with the Mesa>MC50..

Anyway, just wondered if anyone had any insight. I haven't pulled the trigger on the Mesa Pre yet.. not too pricey but wondered if there was any input nonetheless.
 #149711  by Atk1
 Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:08 pm
Also.. noob question..
Is there a way to switch back and forth between pre's and speaker cabs? An A/B pedal of some sort? All sharing the same power amp? Seems like it might not be possible.

Wondered that as well.
 #149734  by tcsned
 Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:37 am
I think it will sounds great with the MC50. As to the switching question, it's possible to do some sort of an A/B switch to share a single power amp/cab you just need to be sure whatever switching option you go with can handle a preamp signal. I uses a Boss ABY pedal and it seemed to work well. I went back and forth between a Marshal JMP-1 and my SMS CTP. I only used it a couple of times on stage and it was with a different speaker cab than I use now. I would look at the specs of any switching device to see what the signal strength capacity is.