#166460  by DeadAheadNH
 Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 am
Hi all, very sorry if this has been discussed before but have any of you ever compiled a list of what pickups (split yes/no) Jerry uses per song.

I guess the easier way of asking is:
When does he use neck/bridge
Does he split either?
(my build only splits neck and middle)
Any particular advice as it relates to JGB?

thanx :)
 #166478  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:17 pm
The general rule of thumb on this forum is that he used the middle pickup split (meaning singe coil) most of the time, that being said, i've seen him use the neck on Birdsong, for instance. As a rule of thumb with Fender syle guitars (strats, tele's, and JG inspired builds) the bridge gives you that bright country spank and cluck, so any cowboy tune will sound more "right" on the bridge pickup.

One thing he didn't do, and is never played the 2 and 4 positions that give that strat quack tone used in funk and other styles of music a lot. Also, Jerry was a master improviser, and I think he liked to mix it all up once in awhile and couldn't be necessarily pigeonholed to using one position on certain songs all the time. Shit, he often times played totally different chords phrasings and positions on the same songs a lot of the time, the old saying "he never played the song the same way twice" can apply to more than phrasings and positionings, too.
Pointclear liked this
 #166481  by sugarinthegourd
 Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:11 am
One thing he didn't do, and is never played the 2 and 4 positions that give that strat quack tone
Hi, I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying I have wondered about this too. I feel like he did use position 2 on Althea at times -- but I don't have any evidence on hand to back up my claims. It's almost surprising that he didn't do that more, as we know he was a fan of JJ Cale, Knopfler, 461-era Clapton, etc. so presumably he enjoyed hearing that sounds from others.

Off to listen to some Altheas including the studio version to see if I'm imagining that...

John
 #166482  by bzbz
 Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:15 am
to keep it simple, middle pickup, single coil - is the majority of his playing.

Jazz explorations (Bird Song, Eyes, Dark Star) included neck pickup, single coil

Country tunes (Mexicali, Mama Tried) included bridge pickup single coil.

He DID use "in between" positions, at times - with effects such as the Mutron -

and feel free to experiment - use the humbuckers, etc - the sound is more in the fingers anyway!
 #166497  by kurt eye
 Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:56 pm
DeadAheadNH wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 am
Hi all, very sorry if this has been discussed before but have any of you ever compiled a list of what pickups (split yes/no) Jerry uses per song.

I guess the easier way of asking is:
When does he use neck/bridge
Does he split either?
(my build only splits neck and middle)
Any particular advice as it relates to JGB?

thanx :)
What kind of build are you getting? Seems strange if its a 3 pickup guitar not to have a standard 5 way selector switch?

Not that it matters much. I'm not a big fan of the 2 and 4 positions.

My tone preference has been very much shaped by Jerry's preferences.

Middle pickup - most of the time
Bridge pickup - country western type tunes (Cumberland, Sugar Mags, Loser, Me & My Uncle, Big River, Playin)
Neck pickup - like male nipples, mostly there for decoration