SMS preamp/Carvin or Quilter Micropro Mach II?

Re: SMS preamp/Carvin or Quilter Micropro Mach II?

Postby bzbz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:45 am

Guys - thanks - especially Brad! I am using a Twin 100-wat head into a JBL K-120 (I was using it into a 2x12, but recently tried and liked the upward impedance mismatch) - and I am CLOSE - but yes when I listen back my clean tone is just a bit too "sterile" and thin - so - for now - I guess using my Earth Drive "on" all the time would be the way to go - should I turn down the tone on the pedal or just use the overdrive at 10:00 or so? I am up for suggestions! when I use dirt pedals, this rig is great, but I would like very much to have a better clean tone!
bzbz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby chipperj » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:09 am

My ED settings are:
Volume - 2ish
Drive - 10ish
Tone - 2ish

And I leave it on even when I kick in another drive pedal. It's the last of the drive pedals in the chain, so when I kick in an additional drive pedal, it has the added benefit of smoothing out the fuzziness of the previous pedal.
chipperj
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Jedstein » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:17 am

chipperj wrote:My ED settings are:
Volume - 2ish
Drive - 10ish
Tone - 2ish

Wow -- this is totally different than I'm using it (and I have it on all the time right before the pre as well). I usually have the drive just above 1, with the tone around 6, adjusting volume as appropriate. I figured that in order to get that little bit of grit, I should just use a little bit of gain. Have I been completely using the pedal the wrong way??? I'm now very tempted to ditch work completely and go home and try it the way you're doing it. Would love to hear the settings that others are using, who keep the ED on all the time.
Jedstein
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby bzbz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:21 am

Jedstein, I think he is referring to the settings in terms of clock time (so "2ish" is on the right of the dial), not in terms of the pot values -
bzbz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Jedstein » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:24 am

bzbz wrote:Jedstein, I think he is referring to the settings in terms of clock time (so "2ish" is on the right of the dial), not in terms of the pot values -

Ahhh -- well that's a relief -- thanks! OK -- I' won't ditch work . . . .
Jedstein
Aoxomoxoa
Aoxomoxoa

Postby bzbz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 am

This is my 100 watt Twin head with K-120 - FORGIVE the performance - this is NOT a Dead type band, and my playing needs work - but I need a thicker tone yes?
bzbz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby chipperj » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:03 pm

Jedstein wrote:Wow -- this is totally different than I'm using it (and I have it on all the time right before the pre as well). I usually have the drive just above 1, with the tone around 6, adjusting volume as appropriate. I figured that in order to get that little bit of grit, I should just use a little bit of gain. Have I been completely using the pedal the wrong way??? I'm now very tempted to ditch work completely and go home and try it the way you're doing it. Would love to hear the settings that others are using, who keep the ED on all the time.

:) Whoops. Sorry, yes- I was meaning clock-face stuff.
chipperj
Wavy Gravy
Wavy Gravy

Postby Kaifusha » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:05 pm

Wow - I walk away from the computer for a day and there's all this, answering my other questions before I ask. Love this forum! I was planning to get an Earth Drive with whatever power amp I get, so it's good to know this clipping effect can be reasonably achieved with the ED and a Carvin. I'd love to get a tube power amp, but finances and size of venues don't justify it now. I have to have something to lust after, anyway. Great info guys - thanks!
Kaifusha
tiger
tiger

Postby kurt eye » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:37 am

SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:
Searing75 wrote:With the Carvin DCM200L, I put the SMS Earth Drive right before my SMS pre, and use that for a nice clipping effect. It's on all the time. ...

Mattson often does exactly this too. That's exactly what I think is the only practical solution at the moment with these loud, clean amps that don't clip musically or at a reasonable volume. Could be another pedal too, but the E.D. is particularly good at this because of its neutral and uncolored EQ/voicing, fairly transparent. This scenario opens us up to all kinds of power amp options. It really does work. But, there's nothing like the sound of a Mac transistor pushed a tiny bit past the brink into clipping. Most transistor amps won't clip so sweetly or warmly. I think this is why I generally recommend tube power amps for those not wanting to use a solid state Mcintosh.

B

When you say the ED is right before the Pre do you mean not in the OBEL chain? Is there a reason for this?
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby TeeJay » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:18 am

When you say the ED is right before the Pre do you mean not in the OBEL chain? Is there a reason for this?

The ED is always on so you can still bypass/engage the OBEL effects with the always on dirt out of the loop. Most keep a distortion in the OBEL for dirt and a transparent mild set OD always on out of the loop just to simulated a pushed power amp.
TeeJay
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Gr8fulCadi » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 am

^^^ If it's in the OBEL chain as an 'on all the time' pedal, that means your signal will travel through the entire pedal board 'all the time'. If not, then guitar>ED>amp until the obel is engaged.

Also, I use the ED out of the effects loop too, so that when I roll the guitar volume down, it will clean up a bit of the ED/OD effect. This would not be possible if it was in the OBEL chain.
Gr8fulCadi
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby joethepainter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:20 am

I play an SMS>Carvin DCM200L>JBL E-120. I use an EHX Soul Food to add the necessary sizzle (although the Sarno ED is on my GAS list!). The el-cheapo Klon clone (aka Soul Food) gets it done as far as the power amp breakup in the sweet spot, but it's still really loud with the E-120. A K or even D series would help, I know, but I'm working with what I've got.
The only pedals I'm running through the OBEL are envelope and dirt.
joethepainter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Searing75 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:48 am

kurt eye wrote:
SarnoMusicSolutions wrote:
Searing75 wrote:With the Carvin DCM200L, I put the SMS Earth Drive right before my SMS pre, and use that for a nice clipping effect. It's on all the time. ...

Mattson often does exactly this too. That's exactly what I think is the only practical solution at the moment with these loud, clean amps that don't clip musically or at a reasonable volume. Could be another pedal too, but the E.D. is particularly good at this because of its neutral and uncolored EQ/voicing, fairly transparent. This scenario opens us up to all kinds of power amp options. It really does work. But, there's nothing like the sound of a Mac transistor pushed a tiny bit past the brink into clipping. Most transistor amps won't clip so sweetly or warmly. I think this is why I generally recommend tube power amps for those not wanting to use a solid state Mcintosh.

B

Yes. ED out of loop and right before pre amp. Always on.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby bzbz » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:57 pm

How much drive do you use with it like that?
bzbz
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby nopunin10dead » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:34 pm

The Earth Drive works nicely for that push. I also like Paul Cochrane's Tim (or Timmy) pedal for this role, because when you add any amount of gain you can roll off bass and treble (separately)---this can make your guitar sound the "same" but just "more of it." I find the Tim/Timmy more "transparent" than the ED in this way. It's all good!
nopunin10dead
bruce
bruce

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone