How Do I Get Garcia's Reverb sound (of 80's & 90's)

Re: How Do I Get Garcia's Reverb sound (of 80's & 90's)

Postby aiq » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:36 am

I probably misread or misremembered it, a bit of time has passed.
aiq

Postby Tennessee Jedi » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 am

hippieguy1954 wrote:He was probably jealous :lol:

Nah
Total great guy great player / has his own Dead Tribute
Has no use for reverb I guess
He was like which pedal do I turn off ????
It was good natured
:smile:

Big fan of the SMS
Big part of my sound
Tennessee Jedi

Postby hippieguy1954 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:03 am

Tennessee Jedi wrote:
hippieguy1954 wrote:He was probably jealous :lol:

Nah
Total great guy great player / has his own Dead Tribute
Has no use for reverb I guess
He was like which pedal do I turn off ????
It was good natured
:smile:

Big fan of the SMS
Big part of my sound

I guess I misunderstood. Glad it was good natured! That's always good!
Jim

First show: 1973
Last show: 1994
hippieguy1954

Postby zambiland » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Tennessee Jedi wrote:I'm not that techy and modern digital stuff is so good it fools my ear every time
My fav verb is spring and I love my 76 Twins
I gig w the SMS though
I like it fine but another local Jerry player played my rig at one of our gigs and thought it sounded awful !
:D

I've heard that reaction from when a fairly noted Bay Area player played Jerry's guitar through Jerry's rig.

It just shows to go ya!
zambiland

Postby dcbc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Old thread, but at least by the 90s, Jerry was using a BK Butler RealTube Stereo Reverb RT-921. Pretty hard to find these days, but I just sold mine (bought new in 1995) to a guy who is building a custom rig for his friend who bought "Wolf" a few weeks ago.

The unit uses a pair of accutronics tanks, which can be run in stereo or in mono through both tanks for 12 spring reverb. It is the best reverb I ever have played through. It is rich, without being springy/drippy. But it was big and cumbersome. So I opted to sell it and buy a Topanga for my board, which suits me fine (digital wasn't as good when I bought it 22 years ago).

Anyway, sometime soon, Wolf will be played through my humble old RT-921 reverb unit.

Last edited by dcbc on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcbc
welcome
welcome

Postby waldo041 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:54 pm

Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby dcbc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:43 pm

Frankly, I think a lot of reverb units or pedals these days will nail it. It's mostly Jerry's guitar and JBLs (and Jerry, of course).
dcbc
welcome
welcome

Postby MattMan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 pm

dcbc wrote:Frankly, I think a lot of reverb units or pedals these days will nail it. It's mostly Jerry's guitar and JBLs (and Jerry, of course).

Ugh, nope, afraid not. While the digital reverb on the SMS CTP-JG is very close, and I think Brad is amazing for getting it so close without a pan, the maestro-modded Twin with a pan reverb IS the Jerry tone. There's a lot going on with Waldo's modification to the Twin which also includes mods to the reverb circuit, and there's just nothing like it for THE Jerry tone. Its well worth the investment. Contact Waldo. You will not be sorry.

Here's more evidence:
https://youtu.be/etCyeKX9fG0
MattMan
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby dcbc » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 pm

MattMan wrote:
dcbc wrote:Frankly, I think a lot of reverb units or pedals these days will nail it. It's mostly Jerry's guitar and JBLs (and Jerry, of course).

Ugh, nope, afraid not. While the digital reverb on the SMS CTP-JG is very close, and I think Brad is amazing for getting it so close without a pan, the maestro-modded Twin with a pan reverb IS the Jerry tone. There's a lot going on with Waldo's modification to the Twin which also includes mods to the reverb circuit, and there's just nothing like it for THE Jerry tone. Its well worth the investment. Contact Waldo. You will not be sorry.

Those clips sound great. But for what it's worth, having owned what he used in the later years (90s) (modded possibly in his case) for the past 20 years (in my case), I'm not exactly missing it, even nostalgically, from a being able to get close standpoint. I'm not saying digital in 2017 is better. I'm a snob. But it's sooo much closer than it was 20 years ago when I ditched my Boss Reverb for the BK Butler unit. In my case, at this point, it was close enough not to worry with carrying a 25 lb single rack unit around and sell it for the digital (close) equivalent. YMMV.
dcbc
welcome
welcome

Postby pablomago » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm

When did the Tube Works Real Tube Stereo Reverb come into use? I have one and like it a lot, but I don't have a rack rig these days, so it's collecting dust.

I hang out a lot on surf guitar forums. You think you guys are picky about reverb! :lol:
pablomago
Brent
Brent

Postby dcbc » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm

pablomago wrote:When did the Tube Works Real Tube Stereo Reverb come into use? I have one and like it a lot, but I don't have a rack rig these days, so it's collecting dust.

I hang out a lot on surf guitar forums. You think you guys are picky about reverb! :lol:

Early 90s. There are some pictures out there. Yeah, that RT921 doesn't do surf. Not enough drip. Mine was collecting dust, too. Replaced it with a Catalinbread Topanga. Not a bit of regret. That pedal sounds great.
dcbc
welcome
welcome

Postby MattMan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 pm

More of that sweet Maestro tone from a Twin > MC2100 > E120.
MattMan
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby TeeJay » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:24 pm

Maestro + MattMan = :-)
TeeJay
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby Jon S. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:28 pm

MattMan wrote:More of that sweet Maestro tone from a Twin > MC2100 > E120.

I must say that does sound sweet. Enjoy!
/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby MikeInMarin » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:08 pm

dcbc wrote:
pablomago wrote:When did the Tube Works Real Tube Stereo Reverb come into use? I have one and like it a lot, but I don't have a rack rig these days, so it's collecting dust.

Early 90s. There are some pictures out there. Yeah, that RT921 doesn't do surf. Not enough drip. Mine was collecting dust, too. Replaced it with a Catalinbread Topanga. Not a bit of regret. That pedal sounds great.

dcbc-

Many thanks for the Caitlinbread Topanga suggestion. I just received a used one based on your recommendations, and it sounds fantastic. I had a mini Holy Grail previously and I also have a TC HoF on my main pedalboard, which I really love for its diversity and quality. But I wanted one really good reverb pedal just for my Jerry board. It does the trick really nicely.

Any suggestions on settings and placement ? My ideal sound would be later Tiger years.

I currently have the following setup/planned setup (when my Earth Drive arrives early next week):

Guitar - Cort PRS clone with Super Distortion IIs and SDS 1 in neck. No OBEL. Waldo pre-amp.

1. TC Polytune2
2. Boss OC-2 Octave
3. TS-9 (don't really need. was using to push Env Filter)
4. Mini Qtron EF
5, Boss BD-2 (replacing with Earth Drive when it arrives next week)
6. Whirlwind Goldbox Distortion
7. MXR Script Phase 90
8. Caitlinbread Topanga Reverb
9. Ditto Looper
10. Volume Pedal

SMS JG Pre-Amp
McIntosh MC50
JBL k-120

Anyone else, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike
MikeInMarin
Keith
Keith

PreviousNext

Return to Jerry Tone