long-time lurker finally registered

name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear

long-time lurker finally registered

Postby hieronymous7 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi everybody, I've come across this forum several times over the years, lots of deep information, and I finally registered!

My name is Harry. I currently live in Oakland, CA, but spent a fair amount of my life around Boston. I spent my teenage years in Tokyo, so didn't really encounter the Dead until I moved to Worcester in '88 to go to Clark University. It was a golden era of music - I got to see bands like Phish, Widespread Panic, Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit, etc. on tiny stages like the Clark Pub. I was a co-founding member of Jiggle the Handle in 1989 and played with them until '95 when I left the band to move out to Berkeley, CA to study Buddhism. I kind of quit playing at that point, but came back to it full force in 2002 when I began recording my own music as hieronymous.

Phish felt like "my band" - I liked them way more than the Dead, who I only saw 3 times - Albany around '91 (?), and the Boston Garden in about '93 & '94. It's funny though, I came to appreciate the Dead much more - I actually became disillusioned with Phish starting around '94, and stopped listening to them until around 2008 - though now I like them again! Living here in the Bay Area I've been fortunate to see one of the Levi's Stadium shows last year, as well as Phil & Friends at Terrapin Crossroads a couple of times.

I play bass guitar, you can hear my music here - https://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven - I am definitely influenced by the Dead, but also other improvisational artists like Miles Davis and Can. I also love progressive rock, electronic music, heavy metal, the Beatles - the list goes on and on. I don't play in a band right now, but love playing and listening to music.

A big connection for me here is Alembic - I own two, as well as several instruments with Alembic electronics. I am definitely more into Phil Lesh than Jack Casady. I look forward to learning a lot and helping when I can!
hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Re: long-time lurker finally registered

Postby Staemius » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:47 pm

Welcome!
Staemius
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby tcsned » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:48 am

Welcome aboard!!
tcsned

Postby HeadSpace » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:36 pm

Never saw Jiggle the Handle, but certainly heard of you all back in the day--sounds as though we are of similar vintage. Welcome.
HeadSpace
Billy
Billy

Postby hieronymous7 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I came at the Dead through the proggier side - Slipknot!, King Solomon's Marbles, the 7/4 jam in early-'70s Eyes of the World - grew to appreciate other aspects - the past year or so have started learning to get into the Pigpen stuff, but my favorite early song right now is Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) - never really delved into late-'60s stuff much except maybe The Eleven, but serendipitously realized that a jam Phil had done at TXR was that track when I heard it on the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack - led to search through my collection for other versions - that is also a criteria to move me towards considering purchasing a Dick's Picks or other release if that track is on it...

Jiggle the Handle definitely continued on without me, though they eventually shortened the name to Jiggle. I played a show with them in the early 2000s after they had broken up, they still play now and again. The guitarist/vocalist, Gary Backstrom, was and is amazing!
hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby hieronymous7 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Was getting ready to do a blog post and found this one from a while back explaining the background of my current musical project, hieronymous:

https://hieronymousseven.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/why-hieronymous/

Thought I would share a shot of my avatar pic - I had to make it black and white and really low resolution to be able to upload it as my avatar here! It's the Alembic logo from my 1975 doubleneck...

hieronymous7
Rosebud
Rosebud

Return to Introductions