Let it Grow (single drummer)

Place for the rest of the music

Let it Grow (single drummer)

Postby playingdead » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:28 pm

One of our drummers got the flu so we did a one-drummer single set show Saturday night at the Cannery in Southbridge MA. Really fun to play that way for a change, very 73 sort of feel.

I'll put this as a link so you can get it in HD and with better sound, too. For some reason I can't go full screen on the embedded links but maybe that's a Safari issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZNpB6bBjE

playingdead

Re: Let it Grow (single drummer)

Postby Searing75 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:39 am

Sounds great! Your tone is better than the Loser tone you posted the other day. The lone drummer vibe is in there for sure.
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby playingdead » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks, man. Still want to do some dialing in.
playingdead

Postby Searing75 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:39 pm

The song Loser. Not loser tone. Lol! :lol:
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby DaveAlembic » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:55 pm

Hey man,
nice tone and relaxed feel/vibe
the band sounds tight
looks like fun!
DaveAlembic
Donna
Donna

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:39 am

Vic your tone is pretty damn good!

This is only for a comparison;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hxUD2IX1UfM

Also, just a note on consistency. Jerrys tone stays pretty much consistent for almost 20 years once he goes to the twins/mac/jbl's, with only pickup changes or a boogie amp night being the differences. There were some other changes that were not as noticeable, like the crest power amp use but even with all that said his tone was pretty consistent. It was something he mentioned in interviews he strived for. He just did not have to lug it all around.

~mike
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:12 am

That is a very high compliment coming from you, Mike! :hail:

I am only using one overdrive, based on the Distortion + (that sort of angry bees sound) and should probably work on a smoother one to reflect the other one Jerry used on certain tunes.

I was thinking about this a little bit yesterday, how we all have our own touchstone Garcia sounds that we love. My favorites have always been the early years of the Tiger, and there was that really sharp differential in the sound of 79 to 81 which had a lot of meat and warm organic over drive to it (almost as if he were using a humbucker) and the clear, sparkly sound which I first noticed on the spring 82 tour but apparently was there in December of 81 based on a couple of archive.org boards I listened to yesterday.

I always wondered if it was the Dual Sound to Super II conversion that was responsible, but I'm not so sure if it was all of it, because I have a DualSound in my guitar at the moment and it doesn't sound that different overall to the Super II in my Walker guitar. You would know the date, I'm sure, but at some point Garcia switched from K-120s to E-120s and I wonder how much difference that made overall, pushing a K rated at 100 watts as hard as he did compared to an E rated at 150 watts. Or a D-120 at 50 watts, for that matter. I know the K-110s I had would start to break up at any sort of volume where the E-120 was clear as a bell no matter how loud I turned it up.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:00 pm

playingdead wrote:I was thinking about this a little bit yesterday, how we all have our own touchstone Garcia sounds that we love. My favorites have always been the early years of the Tiger, and there was that really sharp differential in the sound of 79 to 81 which had a lot of meat and warm organic over drive to it (almost as if he were using a humbucker) and the clear, sparkly sound which I first noticed on the spring 82 tour but apparently was there in December of 81 based on a couple of archive.org boards I listened to yesterday.

You nailed it with the Humbucker comment. Wolf with Dual Sounds and I believe Tiger with Dual sounds were in fact wired Parallel/Series and NOT Single/Series like Tiger with Super 2's. As you noted, the Dual Sound and Super 2 are very similar sounding as Single Coils and this is also the result you have witnessed with your Tiger and Walker guitars. However a Dual Sound in Parallel imparts a single coil feel but as a Humbucker and it IS different then a Super 2 in single coil. I think if you wired your Dual Sound to Parallel/Series you would get a lot closer to that tone you are after.

~waldo
Disclaimer: I only make, modify or build things for those that seek what i may be able to provide.
waldo041

Postby lovetoboogie » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:06 pm

I am digging this for sure! The instruments sound so sweet...The recording is just so tasty. Especially loving the seperation of guitars. You and your(Weir) guy are dialed into each other nicely. As for your tone...I am probably partial to an actual tube amp, with that said, it is a tremendous improvement for the Loser clip we were discussing the other day. I am intrigued with the rig now.

I really listened to this one...gave it a discerning and objective ear. Is there a parameter setting for dynamics? Maybe something along the lines of an input sensitivity in relation to gain. Even in the stiffest of Fender/McIntosh/JBL rigs we still get a bit of compression and/or 'bloom' based on our pick attack. Some of the subtle nuances between hard and soft picking might be suffering but that could be guitar related, setup, or pickup height, etc...

Thanks for posting this. It actually sounds great on the home setup with my old Dahlquest reference monitors! ;)
"It all rolls into one..."
lovetoboogie
Steal Your Face
Steal Your Face

Postby kurt eye » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 pm

:hail: You and the band nailed it.

I get a kick seeing two former members of the band Slipknot. Brings back great memories seeing them at Sir Morgan's Cove in Worcester in the late 80s.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby playingdead » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:18 am

waldo041 wrote:You nailed it with the Humbucker comment. Wolf with Dual Sounds and I believe Tiger with Dual sounds were in fact wired Parallel/Series and NOT Single/Series like Tiger with Super 2's. As you noted, the Dual Sound and Super 2 are very similar sounding as Single Coils and this is also the result you have witnessed with your Tiger and Walker guitars. However a Dual Sound in Parallel imparts a single coil feel but as a Humbucker and it IS different then a Super 2 in single coil. I think if you wired your Dual Sound to Parallel/Series you would get a lot closer to that tone you are after. ~waldo

Thanks guys!

Mike, forgive me if this is a stupid question, as I am pretty clueless when it comes to wiring, but can the Dual Sound be wired Single/Parallel? I never use the middle pickup as a humbucker and it would be totally cool to be able to throw that toggle to switch between the fatter 79-81 tone and the regular single coil sound.
playingdead

Postby waldo041 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:05 am

I cannot say that i know of such a wiring, maybe there is, but i do know that with a 3 way on//on/on and the identical wiring as Wolfs series/parallel you will get the third single coil option on the switch.

~waldo
waldo041

Postby playingdead » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:18 am

Cool, thanks. When the band gets a little down time I'm going to get that done.

waldo041 wrote:I cannot say that i know of such a wiring, maybe there is, but i do know that with a 3 way on//on/on and the identical wiring as Wolfs series/parallel you will get the third single coil option on the switch.

~waldo
playingdead

Return to Tune Submissions