Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: Show us your Garcia inspired guitars

Postby tcsned » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:28 am

Wharfster - that is seriously cool! I love the brass hardware and concept. Brian has done it again!!
tcsned

Postby Jon S. » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:56 am

Here's a horse of a different color.

With the appreciated skills of luthier/tech Phil Jacoby of Philtone Guitars http://www.philtone.com, earlier this year, I Jerrified my '98 USA Reverend Avenger by adding an OBEL and a CAE UGB. I also changed the bridge PUP to a circa '76 Dimarzio Super Distortion HB that had been sitting in my parts drawer for decades, moved the stock (Kent Armstrong, I believe) bridge PUP to the middle slot (it measures 6.3K ohms, more than the stock middle PUP which is now "retired"), and replaced the stock neck PUP with a 9.0K ohms Fralin Steel Pole 43 custom tapped at 6.0K ohm for both fat and traditional vintage tones.

The 5 way switch is now wired bridge, bridge + middle, middle, neck tapped at 6.0K, and full neck. Very versatile. The tone control is removed. And the added minitoggle is to turn the OBEL on and off.

The guitar sounds and plays wonderfully and, at 6 1/2 lbs. or so, it's a nice respite now and then from my Philtone Tiger and Scarlet-Fire Wolf.

/ `--'(
< [] []////////|::: )
\_.--.(
Jon S.

Postby Ebearius » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:06 am

I had posted this elsewhere. I thought it would be more appropriate here.
Ebearius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Searing75 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:10 am

Carvin?
All's well that sounds well.
Searing75

Postby Ebearius » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 am

Searing75 wrote:Carvin?

Yes. Well, the exterior is. All of the cheesy active electronics were ripped out and replaced by Jeff Rice of Atlanta.
Here's what Carvin originally put in there.

That stuff now resides in a bowl
on a shelf in my office.
Ebearius
Blues for Allah
Blues for Allah

Postby Poor Peter » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:53 am

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/5spei ... ent&page=1

These guitars were built over the past two years by my brother. The walnut topped one is "Eagle", is my main player and is wired up to tiger specs. (Thanx Waldo). The Bolt copy is the one he made for himself ( even tho he doesn't play) and is proudly displayed in his living room. It too is wired to Tiger specs. The last one, (my favorite) is Maple and Purpleheart and is a body style that we loosely based off "Wolf". It too is wired off the Tiger spec with p/p splits. No OBEL went into this one tho as its going to be for sale in a local shop and we were trying to stay within a budget. Im not going to sing his praises here as many of you have either worked with or "are" some of the finest builders out there, but I will say having owned and played many many guitars over the years his work continues to astound me. I bought a Post Bolt several years ago and he looked it over and said "Im going to build you a guitar". Two, maybe three years later this is what he has accomplished.
Poor Peter
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby tcsned » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:04 am

Poor Peter wrote:http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/5speisers/library/?view=recent&page=1

These guitars were built over the past two years by my brother. The walnut topped one is "Eagle", is my main player and is wired up to tiger specs. (Thanx Waldo). The Bolt copy is the one he made for himself ( even tho he doesn't play) and is proudly displayed in his living room. It too is wired to Tiger specs. The last one, (my favorite) is Maple and Purpleheart and is a body style that we loosely based off "Wolf". It too is wired off the Tiger spec with p/p splits. No OBEL went into this one tho as its going to be for sale in a local shop and we were trying to stay within a budget. Im not going to sing his praises here as many of you have either worked with or "are" some of the finest builders out there, but I will say having owned and played many many guitars over the years his work continues to astound me. I bought a Post Bolt several years ago and he looked it over and said "Im going to build you a guitar". Two, maybe three years later this is what he has accomplished.

Great looking guitars - all of them!
tcsned

Postby Poor Peter » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:27 am

tcsned wrote:
Poor Peter wrote:http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/5speisers/library/?view=recent&page=1

Great looking guitars - all of them!

Thank you man. Lotsa love and sweat in those as Im sure many of you can attest to.
Poor Peter
Rosemary
Rosemary

Postby MattMan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Here's my modded 1978 Ibanez MC200. Work was completed by Leo from ScarletFire Guitars: https://www.facebook.com/ScarletFire-Guitars-438763326159429/

http://www.mcole-psy.com/images/MattMan_MC200.jpg

Here's the tone (Super II > Wald Buffer > Twin > MC2100 > K120):

https://youtu.be/_buBR3l-vRI?t=2m50s
MattMan
710 ashbury
710 ashbury

Postby kurt eye » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Behold my new Troy Post Wolf

WALNUT, MAPLE AND PURPLEHEART BODY
FLAME MAPLE and WALNUT NECK, EBONY FRETBOARD
MULTI LAYER HEADSTOCK OVERLAYS of FLAME MAPLE and PURPLEHEART
TUNOMATIC HARMONICA STYLE BRIDGE-STRINGS THROUGH BODY
BRASS STRING NUT
CUSTOM HANDMADE BRASS TAILPIECE, PICKUP and SWITCH PLATE
GOLD GOTOH TUNERS
25" SCALE LENGTH
24 MED/JUMBO FRETS
12" FRET BOARD RADIUS
ABALONE INLAYS
BRASS SIDE DOTS

1 VOLUME, 2 TONES
COIL SPLITS FOR HUMBUCKERS
SHIELDED INTERIOR
NATURAL CLEAR NITRO LACQUER FINISH
1.5" THICK BODY
8 LBS
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby stuco » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:49 pm

Lovely, Troy is putting out some really nice looking guitars.
stuco
Rosebud
Rosebud

Postby kurt eye » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm

stuco wrote:Lovely, Troy is putting out some really nice looking guitars.

Yes. He's great to do business with, too.
Shall we go, you and I while we can? Through the transitive night fall of diamonds...
kurt eye
Mickey
Mickey

Postby jalevinemd » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:21 pm

The empty space on the Alembic wall got filled a couple of weeks ago. The one in the middle of the lower row was built as a backup for the one immediately to its left. Almost identical but with a few subtle differences. I'll post some more detailed pictures later. These are the only two guitars I play.

jalevinemd
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby tcsned » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Yowsa!
tcsned

Postby Kent Grasso » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Naataanii wrote:its all done by the hands of Andrew Olson, of AO Guitars. who is a member of these forums. we started this collaboration almost 6 years ago and put it on hold for a bit since he was able to spec out the original http://www.myversaroadtrip.com/secockpit-review/ at secockpit forum to get the keywords the RRHOF. so i guess this is about the closest representation one could get plus a few mods that Andrew and i came up with. and yes, they are my initials at the 12th :) it of course will be loaded with on board midi and the usual suspects. :cool:

Wow.that's beautiful guitar,I an guitar fan,really like it.
Kent Grasso
welcome
welcome

Previous

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion