HT JG1 cabinet details

Chat about Equipment Info

Re: HT JG1 cabinet details

Postby waldo041 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:59 pm

hard truckers co wrote:Whether you purchase something or not you get the technical and road experience of over 100years on the road from Steve, Joe and Brian.

that's the negativity bud, a blatant lie. YOU WERE NOBODY TO THE GRATEFUL DEAD! let alone have any road experience with them. and steve and joe aren't building your COOL CAT BOXES! NOR DID THEY DESIGN THEM! NOR ARE THEY ANSWERING THE PHONES. never did and never will. your cabs today are the same cool cat cabs you sold 3 years ago. and in fact are not like jerry's as you claim, nor are the racks.

am i lying? NO i am not. I HAVE NEVER TOLD A FALACY ABOUT YOU OR YOUR COMPANY! all i speak is the truth and for some reason you choose to attack me for telling it! you should have fessed up long ago that you simply bought the rights to use the names. ala haz labs. and have NO SHAME in lying about it.

KARMA is a bitch and it's a wonder why Trey or Weir don't use your cabs anymore?

please glenn, with all your GD road knowledge, let us know the truth to your wealth of information?

why are you clips and cabs not like jerry's?

did you sell the same cabs under COOL CAT CABS?

why is your JG Rack not appear to be shelved correctly or have the correct dimensions?

what has Steve or Joe designed and when do they answer questions?

aren't real hard trucker cabs in fact clones of the alembic B12's,frontloaded, used in the wall of sound?

wasn't hard truckers formed after the dismantling of the WOS?

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby hogan » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:13 pm

jkstraw wrote:Hey modz/hogan,

The builder I am working with has offered to do any joints I want. My understanding is dovetails are the strongest....I also think they look sweet :-)

Do either of you see an issue with using dovetails for the "box" and dado's for the baffles?

Thanks for any advice :hail:

If you have a guy that will do dovetails, go for it. It can get a little hairy w/ plywood. Chip out on your tails and such, but if the guy knows what he's doing then go for it. They do look cool. I used to do it on my solid wood headcabs. Good luck ~MJH
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby RiverRat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:17 pm

"You catch more flies with one ounce of honey than you do with 100 gallons of vinegar"

Bad press will cost you customers in the end...

hard truckers co wrote:We dont mind the conversation at all. We actually welcome it. No worries brother.

Au contraire... You are worried! Your post wouldn't have been filled with so much venom if you were NOT worried.
RiverRat

Postby rob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:48 pm

Hey guys, I don't know the history between Glenn and Mike. I really don't want to know. But I do want throw a question into the mix... not taking any sides. To some of us accuracy is important. To some of us sound is important. And to some the look is important. Or, most likely, the best mix of all three would be important.

In my limited experience here on the board, it seems to me if we don't want a HT JG1, then we are trying to copy the HT JG1? I'm just curious about that.

Rob
rob
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby jkstraw » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 pm

rob wrote:In my limited experience here on the board, it seems to me if we don't want a HT JG1, then we are trying to copy the HT JG1? I'm just curious about that.

Rob

I can't speak for anyone else - but I am pursuing it because I think it is a killer looking cab and it's gonna hold my speakers. Seeing hogan's and emoto's custom cabs, and vic's HT cabs just sealed the deal. It may not be what Jerry used....but I sure ain't gigging like Jerry did :-)

At the end of the day - it's all good. People digging the tunes and the spirit of chasing tone (jerry's, bobs...their own). Guys here knock me out with the amount of help and information they share - regardless of the occasional disagreement each person has brought value to the community.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby hard truckers co » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:30 pm

In a continued attempt to stay above the fray created by a little man that who's feelings were hurt years ago I will answer the questions posed.
Maybe one day waldo will come to terms with his jealousy, why he just doesn't like us and why he feels the need to talk negatively about us.
But as I said Karma is a bitch.

So here ya go...

KARMA is a bitch and it's a wonder why Trey or Weir don't use your cabs anymore? We are absolutely honored to be a small part of any world class musician. You can be friends with anyone, but when you reach world class status it takes more than friends to be part of someones rig. Why someone would choose to use a piece of gear or not is not something we concern ourselves with. We love Trey and Bobby and are just tickled that we are a small part of their lives. That being said Steve says Bobby's cab looks pretty good in the rehearsal space and Brian says that Trey's cabinet is well used including being out on tour with Page last year.

please glenn, with all your GD road knowledge, let us know the truth to your wealth of information? I am quite fortunate to learn at the arm of some of the brightest minds in music industry. I am grateful for the access I receive and are quite thankful for it.

why are you clips and cabs not like jerry's? - well smartypants did you know there are actually 2 types of hard truckers clamps? some with one ledge that actually tighten by digging into the cabinet baffle, and some with two ledges (and the ones we currently make) that use torque to tighten the speaker. Then within this clamp there are subclamp sizings that allow for the different thicknesses of different speaker frames.

did you sell the same cabs under COOL CAT CABS? Well actually no. While I did have an entity that sold my interpretation of the cabinet (a total of 3 speaker cabinets on ebay)
the current JG1 did not take its final (and incredible) form until going thru intense workmanship with Steve and Joe (ie the original Hard Truckers). Are there things that are different between the last Hard Truckers 2x12 that Jerry played and our current JG1? Yes there are, never said anything differently. We made the changes consciously for some pretty good reasons. To just name a few - 1) Handles, Jerry never had handles (except for one 4x12) well ya know what. Handles are a good thing. Most people don't have road cases or road crews to carry their gear. An actual funny anecdote about handles would be when Steve Parish and I delivered Trey his Hard Truckers cabinet at the Warfield. Steve originally wanted to go with no handles as they did in the past. He changed his mind after lugging in the cabinet from the car stating that handles were actually quite useful. 2) 1/4" jacks, Jerry's cabs had banana plugs to attach his cab to his amp. Today very few people use banana plugs and to stay with that technology would be counterproductive.

why is your JG Rack not appear to be shelved correctly or have the correct dimensions? All our rack cases are custom made for our customers to fit their current and prospective gear. We use one of the rack cases that the Hard Truckers made up in the early 70s as a guide and fit it to our customers needs. Once again functionality is important here, just cause one of Jerry's racks had a flat shelf doesnt mean its better. When we tilt a shelf or make something user friendly makes the item better. We want to move forward with design and make things better. If Jerry was alive today does anyone actually think he would be using the same gear he had in the 70s. No everything evolves. Just look at tuners, we had a client that wanted us to build an exact replica of Jerry's rig right down to the tuner he used in the mid 70s. After talking with him we explained that tuner technology has gotten alot better since then, and just cause Jerry used a particular piece of equipment back then, we can do better now and not effect (but maybe enhance) the tone.

what has Steve or Joe designed and when do they answer questions? Steve and or Joe are always available and will answer any questions that are put to them. We get emails for Steve and Joe all the time which are forwarded appropriately and answered. As a matter of fact when the Hard Truckers started back up 3 years ago Steve took a bunch of questions from all the different user groups and the answers were posted. Steve is on tour with Moonalice and loves to talk with everyone that approaches him, a true master of ceremonies. Go see Steve and Moonalice. If you have a question please do go ahead and ask. Oh yea, besides the actual cabinet designs Steve and Joe are involved in day to day operations and have created road gear like the SP-1 junction box.

aren't real hard trucker cabs in fact clones of the alembic B12's,frontloaded, used in the wall of sound? Who worked, was behind and designed and created all the cabinets for alembic? Who were the people that designed and produced the cabinets? Steve, Joe and a group of incredible artisans who worked at alembic before they went out on their own.

wasn't hard truckers formed after the dismantling of the WOS? The Hard Truckers were a talented group of hard working guys that had a vision and went out on their own after working at alembic. They were all employed by the Grateful Dead and I really dont understand the relevance of the question. The wall of sound was created by a huge team of people, some alembic, some what would become early meyer, some hard trucker, et al. Are you implying that Steve Parish, Joe Winslow, Dan Healy and the other incredible people involved were not involved?

Lets see if I can answer some of the other past insults waldo has leveled over the years to put them to bed one last time.
- There has never been any implication that I have lived my life on the road with the Grateful Dead. Our knowledge comes from Steve, Joe and Brian Brown. Three incredible names in touring history. An incredible wealth of knowledge. Most people dont have a roadie or access to one. We do, and we share that knowledge with the world. Our people know what it takes to make it on the road and if I am a conduit to that information and allow it to be shared over the internet, well isnt that the point of sharing knowledge.
- I paid for the Hard Truckers name. The Hard Truckers are an LLC. The owners of said LLC are Steve, Joe and myself. Pretty cool involved partners.
- This one for the last time - Jerry never played one, or its not exactly like his. Technology moves forward. You can build a better wheel. You can customize something to fit your exact needs. You can make something better. There is an incredible spirit within all Hard Truckers products. Built upon an incredible foundation created by once in a lifetime people. We keep that spirit alive. We reproduce that incredible tone. We move "IT" to the next generation. Tell you this much, I have no doubt in my mind that if Jerry was alive today, he would be playing a Hard Truckers Cabinet. There is nothing like it.

Its pretty funny actually, December 1st will mark our 3rd year back building the best speaker cabinets available today. The waldo's of the world can try to bring negativity to the scene all they want, but the bottom line is 300+ cabinets later there isnt 1 unsatisfied customer out there. Our artists list is a whos, who of rock-n-roll and we help keep the scene alive. Just like meyer sound, furman sound, ultra sound and alembic the Hard Truckers are keeping the spirit of the Grateful Dead alive. True to its roots and core principals.
Better gear makes you a better musician. We are honored to be a small part of countless rigs and look forward to making new friends. Please do copy our cabinets, keep the scene alive. Just keep the negativity away.
hard truckers co
Brent
Brent

Postby strumminsix » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:50 am

Glenn, in the interest of cutting down words. Does it kinda go like this:

talented guys @ alembic > WOS dismantles > Hard truckers born based on those 2 groups & learnings > Jerry/GD used HT >
time passes then does Jerry > you connect with original gear & Steve & Joe and create HT 2.0 (not said insultingly) >
take ordinal designs and modify them be it logical, functional, technological or originals were overbuilt for a musicians needs

Does that sum it up?

If that's right I can see how it could irk a "Jerry Purist" who may see your cabs as HT inspired but not THE HT's from back in the day and I hope you could to!

Classic HT looks, solid design, well manufactured are all great things and I think that's what the other side of this disagreement looks for and has found with you.

FTR, I'm all in favor of gear evolution and I'm only a purist with my signal :)
strumminsix

Postby Emoto » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:32 pm

:lol:
Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there...
Emoto

Postby Naataanii » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:36 am

Ok, Just call me Captn' Frickin Obvious, HT said:

" - This one for the last time - Jerry never played one, or its not exactly like his."

If thats the case, well in the Hell would you call it the JG1?

Just sayin'.........
Hey, hey, come right away. Come and join the party everyday!
Naataanii
Brent
Brent

Postby modz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:21 pm

Hey modz/hogan,

The builder I am working with has offered to do any joints I want. My understanding is dovetails are the strongest....I also think they look sweet

Do either of you see an issue with using dovetails for the "box" and dado's for the baffles?

Thanks for any advice

I agree with Hogan! If you used a hardwood (or softwood) than dovetails are great but hardwood can check and split over time. I like baltic birch because it's relatively cheap and very stable. I use a tongue n groove because it adds a little more gluing area and is a very strong joint but very time consuming too. I have a dedicated table permanently set up for making the joint so that saves some time. My cabs are more of a hobby:) I just like building! Sorry about the slow response. I'm new to the site and I spend hours reading through all of the post and love it. Wife doesn't love it!!!!!
Tracy Lowe from Festus, MO
http://www.soundscaperproductions.com/
modz
Pigpen
Pigpen

Postby NeebruM » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:50 am

It's an interesting thread though... I'll say that.. :x
NeebruM
Keith
Keith

Postby jkstraw » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:40 am

Hey Now!

I'm gonna try and get this thread back on track to what I initially intended :-)

Being the newbie to cabinet construction that I am I find I keep running across new questions as I get closer to build time :-)

I hope I'm not asking too many scattered questions :oops: Hopefully someone can help me with a few more :P

Construction:

Question: I will be using 3/4" BB ply for the front cabinet baffle. Should this be a straight cut out for the speakers? Or does it need to be tapered or stepped? When I look at the E-120 it looks like a straight cut out would be fine. I could also see routing out a 1/4" to let the speaker sit back in the baffle a little. Being a newbie I was wondering what the recommended practice would be.

Wiring:

Components:

A) 2 x JBL E-120
B) Neutrik NJ3FP6C-BAG (http://www.neutrik.com/fl/en/audio/210_ ... etail.aspx)
C) McIntosh MC 2105

Question: Where do you guys source your speaker wire from? Belden cable that HT uses seems to be available in bulk only. I looked at monoprice for some 14g speaker wire as well - but am unsure of the quality.

Question: Do people just hook the bare wire in to the JBL terminals? It looks like banana plugs might fit nicely.

Question: Wiring the JBL's to the Neutrik 1/4" locking plug

The Neutrik has the following posts on the backside: (i) TIP, (ii) RI and (iii) GR. Am I correct in ignoring the RI post - like in the diagram I have attached?

JBL_Wiring.jpg
JBL_Wiring.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 845 times

From there a 1/4" (using only Tip and Ground) to two banana plugs. Termination to the banana plug adaptors on my MC 2105 (4ohm and common - say right channel).

Again my apologies for the scattered questions. Learning lots as I go along and just want to bounce my thoughts off some more knowledgeable people.
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

Postby strumminsix » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:54 am

jkstraw wrote:
JBL_Wiring.jpg

Again my apologies for the scattered questions. Learning lots as I go along and just want to bounce my thoughts off some more knowledgeable people.

To note, not all JBLs are color coated to be Red = + and Blk = -

Check the speaker. Use a 9v batter, attached a clip to it, put the 2 leads on the speaker. If you have + & - correct it will pop outwards otherwise it will pull inward.
strumminsix

Postby jdsmodulus » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:57 am

strumminsix wrote:
jkstraw wrote:
JBL_Wiring.jpg

To note, not all JBLs are color coated to be Red = + and Blk = -

Check the speaker. Use a 9v batter, attached a clip to it, put the 2 leads on the speaker. If you have + & - correct it will pop outwards otherwise it will pull inward.

This worked for me! and I have both the older JBLs and a couple new ones so as far as the negative,positive you must check first! otherwise I have a 2x12 wired like in the above diagram and it sounds great!
jdsmodulus

Postby jkstraw » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:46 am

strumminsix wrote:To note, not all JBLs are color coated to be Red = + and Blk = -

Thank you for that tip! I had no idea!
jkstraw
Jerry
Jerry

PreviousNext

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion