Octave divider

Chat about Equipment Info

Octave divider

Postby Poor Peter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm

Howdy All,
This is my first post and I am hoping someone can help me out. I've read in several places that the Boss OC-2 Octave divider was part of Jerry's arsenal for a number of years. In all my years of hanging on every single note he has played, I don't think I recognize his use of it. Could someone please cite me an example of when he used it. Anyone use ocatve dividers that they like besides the Boss. I am typically not a big fan of Boss pedals. Thanks all.

Kindly,
Poor Peter
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Re: Octave divider

Postby Peaks Rhythm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Welcome aboard PP.

The octave divider was often used during Stranger.
You can clearly hear Jerry kick it on while warming up at about 2:30 of this version.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1986-0 ... 672.flac16

Lenny
Least I'm enjoying the ride.

www.myspace.com/highpeaksband
Peaks Rhythm
bruce
bruce

Postby deadguise » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 pm

The solo in Cats Under the Stars...
deadguise

Postby Capt Rosebuddy » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Well this is also on the Dozin @ the Knick CD set but this is great MuTron Octave Stuff not to mention the Mutron III in the solo.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-0 ... sbeok.shnf

Dupree's dig it.
Capt Rosebuddy
Phil
Phil

Postby hogan » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:14 pm

The outro lead of later day "looks Like Rain" comes to mind.
Honest to the point of recklessness.
PM me for a cab
http://www.facebook.com/workingmansdead
Happy customers (~);-} :
paulinnc, spaceyrface43, AKdead, chuckles, ebelgee, Quebee, Kennay, bomall01, NashvilleMike, Strumminsix,jx2638,Chutley, Adam Deckard, jkstraw, TennesseeJedi, deadhead1988, spacefunkologist, rmackenzie
hogan

Postby Chuckles » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Slipknot!
Seems like I've been here before...

The Road's Facebook Page (including links to tunage) is here:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Road/ ... 200?ref=nf
Chuckles

Postby kenneybonz » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:34 am

re the mutron use along with the octave devider
is it then tweaked a little differntly with the envlope filter instuff to produce that kinda whistling organ kinda synth sound during leads? I am thinking here that up around the 14th fret on up, the d, a and e strings? i have the 0c3 so i turn the direct and oc-1 levels way down for it and the oc2 drive is only at, say, 11 o'clock and then use the last selector to use the intial mode setting, which is, drive setting to make it make that sound by backing off the peak and range on the qtron....
i've not been able to find that particular effect sound with any other effect combo and thought that was why you do it that way...so that it can be in. like, lots of things?
it's early and the coffee isn't working quite yet, but, then in leads like scarlet or the space transitions in playing and a few others?
I mean I know what you give it that big heavy bass rumble sound like all those other songs, but isn't that one of the things you do with that? making that other other sound too?
if i'm not making sense I could post some clip references from mp3s and this graphic doesn't go here but its colorful and cool, so what the heck. :thewave:
Hipsters, Tripsters, real cool chicksters, Everyone's doin' that rag.
kenneybonz
Billy
Billy

Postby tigerstrat » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:49 am

It's a Mu-Tron Octave Divider, which was used 1976-1989, then in 1989 (or 88?) the Boss OC-2 Octaver (later dubbed simply "Octave"in the Taiwanese version) was added and both pedals were there (what was used for what...?) then the Divider was removed after 1989. The divider also had an octave up capability to add subtle (or heavy) fuzz. I don't understand why he would have switched, myself.
"There, in huge black letters, was 'The Grateful Dead'. It just... cancelled my mind out."-Garcia
tigerstrat

Postby mkaufman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:50 am

I currently have an extra MIJ OC-2 Octaver (Octaver, no Octave) pedal.... this is the more desirable version.

mk
THE best way to score gear: http://www.auctionstud.com

For discounts on extended Dell warranties: http://advantech-ny.com/mik/advantech/DellComputerWarranty
mkaufman

Postby Poor Peter » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks kindly to all who responded to my post. The dead community continues to shine it's light. I picked up the OC-3 today. Shortly my kids will be in bed and after a wee bit of herbal sacrafice I will settle into my basement studio to noodle with this thing. I can't wait. Poor Pete is about to be enriched. Gosh it's great to be alive!!!
Poor Peter
Terrapin
Terrapin

Postby Samson » Sun May 16, 2010 5:18 pm

I just picked up an old Japanese Boss OC-2 Octave (no r) pedal... It's the buttery cream for sure... Where do you all like to set your wet/dry and octave 1 knobs?

peace-

SAMSONsamson

(that little "samson" is the octave below Samson that happens at the same time as the big SAMSON)
Last edited by Samson on Mon May 17, 2010 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...I can't figure out...if it's the end or beginning...
...or the end of the beginning of the end, for that matter...
Samson
tiger
tiger

Postby jefkahn » Mon May 17, 2010 6:35 am

Isn't the octave also used at the end of Terrapin?

I have the Taiwan OC-2. Sometimes I hear some faint pitch-shifting of the octave-below notes. Is that common on other OC-2s?

I'm also wondering where Jerry would put the OC-2 in the signal chain with an envelope filter and overdrive.
...things we've never seen will seem familiar...
jefkahn
Ice Cream!
Ice Cream!

Postby keirweir » Mon May 17, 2010 7:01 am

hogan wrote:The outro lead of later day "looks Like Rain" comes to mind.

That's a great one! I think of Cats under and Dupree
keirweir

Postby waldo041 » Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 am

jefkahn wrote:I'm also wondering where Jerry would put the OC-2 in the signal chain with an envelope filter and overdrive.

without them being true bypassed or having a TB switching unit, most likely envelope first and then oc-2, then overdrive. the bypass buffer in the oc-2 wreaks havoc on the envelope filter when placed before it non TB'd.

True bypassed or switching unit would be oc-2 first, then envelope, then overdrive.

peace,
waldo
"Tone is in the instruments. Technique in the hands. Do what you will." ~ quote from some guy at the TGP forum
waldo041

Postby Pete B. » Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 am

waldo041 wrote:
jefkahn wrote:I'm also wondering where Jerry would put the OC-2 in the signal chain with an envelope filter and overdrive.

without them being true bypassed or having a TB switching unit, most likely envelope first and then oc-2, then overdrive. the bypass buffer in the oc-2 wreaks havoc on the envelope filter when placed before it non TB'd.

True bypassed or switching unit would be oc-2 first, then envelope, then overdrive.

peace,
waldo

fwiw, I have an original un-modded MuIII, and a MuIII with True-bypass and the Gain stage bypassed when effect is off. Both of these pedals sound more like Jerry to me when ran with the Mu-Octave divider first in line.
I have the OC2 and an OC3 and run them the same way... Octave > MuIII (fwiw I'm not a fan of the sounds I hear in my own trials when an octave pedal is trying to track to an envelope filtered note, ymmv).
:smile:
Pete B.

Next

Return to Grateful Dead Equipment Discussion